This first picture is the very first picture I did of Quake. It was done while I was at college and was just doodling because I was bored in class (a habit of mine back then).
Bear in mind that it was a first idea and Quake has changed a lot since this first picture but it should demonstrate that your first attempts can be crap, like this one.
For this image I was very inspired by The Thing's rock-like appearance, that's what I was sketching. But I didn't want it to like the same, I wanted it to look more like armour plating hence the uniform shaping.
I was also considering a horn but changed my mind, that's why there is a scribble by his face.
Attempts after that vastly improved as the next couple of pictures will show you.
A full body lizard inspired look. It ended up being too much like Venom though.
Some more concepts looking specifically at his face and rock armour (close ups below)
I really liked the idea of showing cracks in the rock armour, it looks a bit like fissures in the ground.
A kind of lizard/rock combo
The final look I decided to go for. It looks more like rock and a bit like mountains plus he has a slightly menacing quality to him. Is he good or evil?
Some other concept ideas, the two pictures of him above are of him opening a door in a rock wall and emerging/forming from the ground.
Above is a picture inspires by a part of the game X-men Legends in which the heroes have to fight Dark versions of Brotherhood members which were created by Shadow King. I decided to create a dark version of Quake and here he is attacking a civilian.
Below is a full colour drawing of Quake which combines the face ideas and the armour into one properly thought out piece. The armour plates are placed in such a way to look like parts of the body but the face is based on an older version.
That's all I have for now for Quake's concept design but be sure to return to see updates.
No comments:
Post a Comment